Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing

P-ISSN: 2664-1348, E-ISSN: 2664-1356, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.4
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
2021, Vol. 3, Issue 2, Part B
to assess the knowledge regarding mental retardation among mothers of under five year children

Nisha and Prerna Bhandhari

Introduction: History has not been kind to those with developmental disabilities. Throughout history, people with developmental disabilities have been viewed as incapable and incompetent in their capacity for decision making and development. People whose primary mental abilities are not fully developed become a complete misfit in the community. Such individuals are left behind and allowed to lead a substandard human existence.
Objectives of the study
1.To assess the knowledge regarding mental retardation among mothers of under five year children.
2.To find out the association between knowledge score regarding mental retardation among mothers of under five year children with their selected x demographic variables.
Methods: The research design selected for the study was descriptive/non-experimental design. The sample size for the study was 100, who were being treated in the selected community area Bhangel Noida. Non-probability purposive sampling technique was adopted for the study to select the sample. Self-structured knowledge questionnaire was used as tool to collect the data.
Results: The significant major findings of the study were: Maximum 42% of mother of under five year children have belong to age group of 25- 30 years followed 38% of mother of under five year children have belong to age group of 18-24 years. And remaining 20% mother of under five year children have belong to age group of 31 & above. Maximum 30&30% of mother of under five year children had primary and secondary education, secondary education, 15&15% of mothers of under five year children no formal education & higher secondary education. And remaining 10% of mothers had graduate. Maximum 50% of mother of under five year children had working as house wife, 25% mothers of under five year children had self-employment, 15% mothers had working as private job & remaining 10% mothers had working in government job. Majority 50% of mother of under five year children having family income 5001- 10,000, 40% mothers of under five year children have family income less than 5000 and remaining 10% mothers family income above 10001 & above. 5. Maximum 50% of mother of under five year children belong to joint family. Followed xi by 45% of mother of under five year children belong to nuclear family. And remaining 5% of mother of under five year children belong to extended family. Maximum 60% of mother of under five year children were mixed diet and remaining 40% of mother of under five year children were vegetarians diet. Maximum 60% of mother of under five year children belong to Hindu, 20% of mother of under five year children belong to Christians, 10% of mother of under five year children belong to Muslim and remaining 10% of mother of under five year children belong to Sikh. 8. Maximum 60% of mother of under five year children got information from health personnel, 30% of mother of under five year children got information from mass media. And remaining 10% of mother of under five year children got information from family/ relatives.
Conclusion: The nurses and other health care professionals are able to make significant contribution to promote care of mentally challenged children. Health education can be planned and conducted for the mothers.
Pages : 105-108 | 39 Views | 26 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Nisha, Prerna Bhandhari. to assess the knowledge regarding mental retardation among mothers of under five year children. Int J Adv Psychiatric Nurs 2021;3(2):105-108.
close Journals List Click Here Other Nursing Journals Other Journals
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
Please use another browser.