Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing

P-ISSN: 2664-1348, E-ISSN: 2664-1356, Impact Factor: RJIF 5.4
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
Printed Journal   |   Refereed Journal   |   Peer Reviewed Journal
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
2020, Vol. 2, Issue 1, Part A
“A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge and practice of infant care among primipara mothers” in Indira Gandhi Children Hospital, Bangalore

Mr. Sanjay Shinde and Nagarajappa D

Background of the study: Infant health in India shows drastic figures. Delhi ranks 9th (out of 29 states) in infant mortality rate, it is a pathetic 19th in exclusive breastfeeding (that is only 34.5% of women breastfeed exclusively for 6 months) and 22nd in initiating breastfeeding within the first one hour. Only 29.9% children in Delhi are given ORS during diarrhoea. Rajasthan -- though governed by a woman -- ranks 22nd in IMR and nearly bottom of the heap when it comes to immunisation while Jammu and Kashmir is ranked 14th in IMR. Each of the five states going to elections now -- J&K, Delhi, Chhattisgarh, Mizoram and Rajasthan -- fare dismally in critical infant health elements like breastfeeding rates, immunization and ORS use in diarrhoea. These facts have been highlighted in the report cards published by Breastfeeding Promotion Network of India (BPNI) on the state of infant health in the country. ‘’a study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge and practice of infant care among primipara mothers in Indira Gandhi Children Hospital at Bangalore.’’
Objectives of the study
1. To assess the knowledge of primipara mothers on Infant care.
2. To assess the practice of primipara mothers on Infant care.
3. To evaluate the effectiveness of Structured teaching programme on Knowledge and practice of primipara mothers on Infant care.
4. To find the correlation between knowledge and practice regarding Infant care.
5. To determine the association between knowledge of primipara mothers with selected demographic variables.
6. To determine the association between practices of primipara mothers with selected demographic variables.
Method: This was experimental study total 60 subjects were selected through non probability convenient sampling technique. Exploratory design was used. Data was collected by structured interview technique. Data collected under the 2 sections (socio-demographic data, knowledge questionnaire and practice checklist).The reliability of the tool was established by split half method formula. The reliability result of knowledge was r=0.904.prepared structured teaching programme regarding infant care.
Result: In pre test 16 (40%) of the Primipara mothers had average knowledge only and remaining 24(60%) had low knowledge. Post test scores compared to pre test scores showed an observable increase in the knowledge of Primipara mothers as 12 (30%) of them had high knowledge and remaining 28(70%) had average knowledge. The mean of knowledge score in pre test was increased from 16.2+2.85 to 22.45+2.13 in post test.
Conclusion: The study proved that structured teaching programme on infant care among primipara mothers was scientific, logical and cost effective strategy.
Pages : 04-12 | 289 Views | 139 Downloads
How to cite this article:
Mr. Sanjay Shinde, Nagarajappa D. “A study to assess the effectiveness of structured teaching programme on knowledge and practice of infant care among primipara mothers” in Indira Gandhi Children Hospital, Bangalore. Int J Adv Psychiatric Nurs 2020;2(1):04-12.
close Journals List Click Here Other Nursing Journals Other Journals
International Journal of Advanced Psychiatric Nursing
Please use another browser.